The best way to prevent sim swapping is to not give them enough information to convince your service provider to give them your number.
If they get access to your phone they get:
- They get access to all 2FA and SMS codes sent to your number
- They can pretend to be you
- Any accounts linked to that phone number can be stolen
To prevent this from happening do these steps:
- Don’t click on suspicious links. Not only do they cookie log you but they also steal your personal information, which can result in SIM swapping.
- Don’t give out info to surveys. The most popular way to get personal information to SIM swap someone was to trick the user into thinking they could get a “Free Covid-19 test” or a “Free Covid-19 vaccine”, don’t go to these sites. Go to your state’s (or country) website and add
/coronavirus and you’ll see the official forms for the vaccine.
- Always have 2FA enabled. Getting someone’s password is as easy as clicking a link(literally cookie loggers can get everything), but bypassing 2FA is much harder than getting into the account.
To lessen the damage done if you are SIM swapped:
- Use app verification instead of SMS verification. Things like google auth or authy will help prevent you from losing 2FA codes in the rare event that you are SIM swapped.
If you lose cell phone service immediately contact your service provider, as it’s the first sign of a sim swapping.
Note: Removing your phone from your Roblox account actually lessens account security, contrary to popular belief. If your phone is connected to your Gmail, has ever logged into the Roblox account, or has had DevEx receipts go their then you will still lose your account. Please make your service providers account safe using app based 2FA instead of SMS-based verification.